Friday, November 8, 2013

Week 1: The MTC

Hello Family!!!

              It is a great day!! I am so happy to be here and I am loving it already so much. I say already, but it feels like we have been here for weeks! Which is good. I wrote you a handwritten letter the other day, but I will say some of the same things just in case you do not get that. I am in a district of 10 missionaries. 5 of us our going to the Mormon Battalion, 1 to the Washington DC temple visitors center and 4 elders going to the Hamilton, New Zealand Mission. They are all great missionaries and we laugh a lot, probably too much but we love each other and the work. My amazing companion is Sister Alison Larson and she is from Lehi, Utah. She is so funny and sweet and we get a long really well. We are all obedient and love Heavenly Father.  It is a lot different here at the MTC than being in Nashville, except that the purpose is the same. I will be leaving for the Mormon Battalion November 26th. The first two weeks we will be strictly learning the gospel doctrines and teaching investigators and the last week here we will be doing visitor center training and we get to go to the Salt Lake Temple Visitor Center and give tours with them for part of that. The very first day we got put in a room with about 20-30 other missionaries and we were in charge of teaching 3 real investigators as a whole. It was crazy to me because I was so timid. I feel like I have learned so much in Nashville and I feel like I know how to teach, but it is important for me to take a couple steps back and learn what the missionaries learned too before they came to Nashville. I feel like I jumped a few steps and need to learn the fundamentals. I love learning them though and it has been a humbling experience.  I am not going to be a timid missionary, I promise Dad.:) It is interesting though how nervous I have been, but I have been praying for more confidence and today I was a lot more confident. Right now, Sister Larson and I are teaching a guy named Joe who just left the RLDS church. He has 2 daughters and a wife. We will teach him on Saturday. He is real, but we will be teaching him through our teacher Brother Boddy. However, on Monday we start teaching a girl names Lawanna who will actually be here and we will have lessons with her all next week. We role played a lot today and really felt the Spirit tell us what to teach to Joe. It is amazing how the spirit works through us as we have faith. You will have to tell the Wests that I just ran into Bridger at lunch today. He looks great and happy! We are hoping to get a picture before he takes off to Ukraine next week. Today was the first day we were scheduled to exercise (which is weird! Only set times at the MTC) We jogged around campus and then we get our first P-day today too! We only get a half P-day and after studying constantly, it feels so weird to have a little break! It is definitely needed though so I understand why we have it. We didn't realize how tired we were until today. I have already learned so much about myself and different techniques that I should be using on my mission. I have learned that I think to much when the gospel is just simple. I wanted to teach Joe all about priesthood authority, when I need to be focusing my efforts on the Doctrines of Christ, Faith, Repentance, Baptism, The Holy ghost and Enduring to the End. When we focus on these doctrines while teaching, the Spirit will help guide us when other hard questions come into the lesson, if we are prepared for them. The church is true and I am so happy that I am here. I know that I am supposed to be a missionary at this time and I am learning so much. I know the Joseph Smith did restore this church so that we can make it to have eternal life. By being baptized, we have entered into the gate that will lead us straight to the Celestial Kingdom. Wow, crazy to think about! And now we must continue to have faith, repent, take the sacrament to remember these covenants, be worthy for the companionship of the Holy Ghost and continue enduring to the end. We are all in this as a team and we can help one another every day. Our purpose is the "Invite others.." Others means everyone. Even and especially our companions and the people we are around every single day. You are all missionaries too and that is our purpose so let's go remind everyone about where they came from and what steps they can take to have eternal happiness. I love this work and I cannot wait to go to California and teach the great people of San Diego. I am so blessed. The church is true! Remember to smile and just know that I love you all. Have a great day!

Love, 


           Sister McKee




PS: ( I hardly have anyone's email so sorry!  Love you all! )

No comments:

Post a Comment